Cannabis activism is real. We have websites that inform people about what marijuana is and the benefits of hemp. We have articles and stories of moms having their sons and daughters treated with medical cannabis. These moms want medical cannabis to be legal in the nation so that others can also benefit from the substance without fear of having to face the law. And then we have personalities, famous even, who are blatant or seriously honest in their use or opinion about the weed, the marijuana and other terminologies pertaining to the same or variety of the herb.
As we amplify our voice to make cannabis more legal nationwide, we also need to halt for a bit and take some inspirations from those who have voiced their opinion or two on what they perceive about the weed and what they want something to be achieved, considering marijuana’s illicit status in many jurisdictions.
Many personalities integrated in this list are already deceased but we want to resurrect a part of them through their famous weed quotes.
We start with the famous Rastafarian, who incorporated his music with a good leaf.
1.Bob Marley, the famous reggae musician of all time
He is, perhaps, the most famous musician who voiced his love for cannabis during the time when the substance was outlawed in most countries and jurisdictions. Though deceased, he is immortalized through his song and memes that always depict his association with the herb.
2. Bill Hicks, American stand-up comedian (deceased)
3. Russell Brand, British comedian and actor
This quote is from his book, My Booky Wook.
4. Melissa Etheridge, Grammy-winning American rock performer
5. Louis Armstrong, American Jazz musician and singer (deceased)
6. Willie Nelson, American country rock musician, singer, songwriter, author, poet, actor, and activist.
7. Richard Neville, Australian writer and former editor of Oz Magazine (deceased)
8. Sebastian Marincolo is a philosopher and author of High and Insights of Marijuana.
He is based in Germany and he also blogs. One of the good reads from him would be this: What a High can do for Sex.
9. Allen Ginsberg, American writer (deceased)
Perhaps, one of his known association with marijuana was his article: The Great Marijuana Hoax. It was published The Atlantic Monthly on November 1966 and can be cited as one of the earliest writings depicting cannabis activism.
10. Kurt Vonnegut, American writer and novelist (deceased)
11. Carl Sagan, American astronomer
12. Henry Ford (deceased), the Founder of Ford Motors
One of the prototypes of his Ford T-model cars was made of hemp.
13. Jack Herer(deceased), the Emperor of Hemp
Jack was a famous American cannabis activist. And he still is as he has been immortalized by a sativa strain named after him in honor of his work in making hemp and cannabis varieties legal.
14. Matt Lauer, American television journalist
15. Nick Offerman, American writer, actor and stand-up comedian
16. Cornell Woolrich, American novelist and short story writer (deceased)
17. Terence McKenna (deceased), American enthobotanist and mystic