The cannabis industry is booming, and for good reason. Cannabis has been shown to be effective in treating many medical conditions, including epilepsy, cancer, chronic pain, anxiety disorders, PTSD, and depression.
It’s no wonder that people want to talk about cannabis more than ever before. With all the talk about this amazing plant comes an increased demand for quality storage for cannabis. One effective option for storage is cannabis humidors.
Cannabis humidors are a relatively new invention that offers an excellent way to store your weed. Here’s everything you need to know.
What is a cannabis humidor and how does it work?
A weed humidor is typically a box-shaped container with a hinged lid made from wood or metal lined with Spanish cedar planks to absorb moisture, prevent mold, and keep cannabis fresh. Some are also equipped with an internal humidifier to help regulate the humidity for optimum storage conditions.
They were created to store cannabis products in moisture and temperature-controlled environments to preserve the product’s quality for an extended period. Cannabis humidors have become increasingly popular in recent years as more states legalize marijuana use and sales.
Cannabis humidors work by regulating moisture levels in the air inside them, which is very important when protecting your precious greens from mold and keeping them at their freshest.
How to select the best cannabis humidor for your needs
Consider the size of your humidor
The size of your humidor will depend on the amount and type of cannabis you plan to store, as well as how often you plan to replenish it. If this will be a one-time purchase for an event or party that’s not too big, then we recommend getting a small personal-sized humidor that can hold about two to four ounces of cannabis.
If you’re looking for a more durable and larger humidor, then we recommend getting one that’s at least 24 inches tall by 12 inches wide, so it can hold about four to eight pounds or a few dozen grams worth of marijuana.
Choose a design that matches the style of your home
When selecting a design, it can be helpful to think about the style of your home. If you have modern or contemporary decorating in your house and are looking for something sleek that will fit into its surroundings, then we recommend getting an acrylic humidor with clear glass panels. These models are also good because they’re not as fragile as wooden ones.
Wooden humidors are great for more rustic decor and often have interesting carvings on them. If you’re looking to purchase a model made from natural materials, then be sure that it’s constructed with cedar boards or organic material like bamboo to prevent the release of any harmful fumes into your cannabis.
Make sure it has an airtight seal
Your cannabis humidor should come with an airtight seal. As you may know, cannabis is considered a very hygroscopic plant which means it’s prone to absorbing and retaining moisture from the atmosphere.
If your humidor doesn’t have an airtight seal, then it can cause mold or mildew to grow on your buds. Additionally, this airtight seal helps ensure that the temperature and humidity levels inside of your humidor are regulated, preventing any harm to your cannabis.
Check if it includes a hygrometer
A hygrometer is a device that measures the relative humidity of the air inside your humidor. It’s important to have one because it will alert you if there are any inconsistent moisture levels in your cannabis storage, which can cause issues with mold and mildew growth issues.
You should also make sure that this hygrometer is accurate when selecting a new cannabis humidor. This helps ensure that your cannabis is safe and protected. Moreover, purchase an analog hygrometer instead of a digital to prevent breakage because of the humid conditions.
Common mistakes people make when purchasing a cannabis humidor
- Not knowing the correct humidity level for your humidor. When you purchase a cannabis humidor, it’s essential to know the correct humidity level for your specific needs.
- Buying a humidifier that doesn’t have an automatic shut-off feature. An automatic shut-off feature is important because it will prevent mold from growing in your humidifier.
- Not wiping down the inside of the humidor after every use. This is another way to prevent mold growth. If you are using a wood box, then make sure that it’s well-sealed and not exposed to any water or moisture for long periods.
- Not checking the hygrometer for accuracy. Some people make the mistake of not providing their cannabis with enough humidity, making them experience mold growth or bud rot, which will affect their long-term marijuana storage needs. Others incorrectly maintain their humidors by using too much water that can cause bacteria to grow.
- Not checking that the humidor is well sealed. Since some cannabis users are concerned about odors, it’s essential to make sure your cannabis humidor has a good seal so you can store your marijuana without worrying about an odor escaping and spreading throughout the room. In addition, this will lessen any embarrassment when others smell what you’re storing in your cannabis humidor.
With so many humidors to choose from, it can be hard to know which is best for you. This guide will help you make an informed decision about what kind of cannabis humidor will work best for your needs and budget.
Choosing the right cannabis humidor for your needs might seem like a daunting task, but as long as you keep these points in mind when you’re buying a cannabis humidor, it will be an investment that will last for years!